Monday, February 8, 2010

The Barometer

It's odd how different this pregnancy is. In 2005, I barely knew what pre-eclampsia was and thought, having had low blood pressure my entire life, I was the least likely candidate. This time around, I am monitored closely, and I know so much. I know what PAPP-A and HCG levels in early blood screening can mean. I know that a pregnant woman's blood pressure should dip below normal in the second trimester. I keenly await results of my blood test to learn the AFP number, not just as an indicator for Down's but for what it can mean for pre-eclampsia as well.

Some may say such knowledge is scary. Perhaps. That it's better to simply pray and hope for the best, which I do as well. But I'd rather know. I've read too many stories over the past 4 years of women who weren't aware of the danger signs and passed them off as regular pregnancy complaints, and as a result did not survive or become gravely ill.

While I have a superb team of doctors, they also know how critical it is that I listen to my body. And for this, they all acknowledge that my barometer will be the monitoring of my blood pressure at home. Pre-eclampsia can strike between Ob/Gyn appointments with ferocity.

This little machine represents so much. It's been my companion the past 19 weeks and hopefully for many, many more weeks to come. It's a barometer for whether my little bean's home inside of me is still hospitable. To date my blood pressure numbers have been great, with the usual 2nd trimester dip. (92 over 64 is great at 19 weeks), and I breathe a sigh of relief every day for now.

4 comments:

  1. just a note to let you know that i am reading intently and rooting for you and the little one.

    thanks so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment! Thank you Erin. Nice to have the support of other HELLP survivors, Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Severe PE and Hellp class III survivor myself. My little girl at 31 weeks however was not a survivor :( I am so happy to learn that you are pregnant again! I struggle with that decision every day. One day I think ok im ready...the next I have MAJOR anxiety and cannot imagine it! I love your blog very informative. :) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just suffered from severe pre-eclampsia (while on vacation), and at 23 weeks + 5 days and weighing 430grams our little girl did not make it. in between my sorrow, and moments of peace and optimism for the future I can only think about getting pregnant again and having it go smoothly to full term this time. Googling for info on this possibility I came across your blog. I am so happy both your babies made it through and so did you. I totally identify with your situation in a time when i feel no one can understand my pain.

    3 weeks after surgery,,,,from Maputo

    ReplyDelete