Saturday, February 13, 2010

19 Week Appointment and First (Minor) Scare

Wanted to post sooner but we headed up to the snow Friday night and just got back. I had my first minor scare at Friday's 19 week appointment. Blood pressure was fine (I get White Coat Syndrome but that is another post), however the urine test showed a trace of protein. Not in itself a big deal, in fact the nurse at first said it was "normal" til I realized it wasn't negative but actually a "trace" amount. Now, "trace" is fairly common and certainly not unusual. For those not aware, pre-eclampsia usually has 3 identifying factors: high blood pressure, swelling, and protein in the urine. The kidneys begin to spill protein and the amount gradually increases from the baseline (negative) to trace, then 1+, 2+, 3+, 4+. So staying in the negative range is ideal of course.

I was discussing it with my Ob/Gyn when she came in, and then she explained how you can get false readings from not getting a clean urine catch. In other words, not first cleansing the area immediately beforehand and not catching urine mid-stream. Well I didn't know this and did neither!! I'm always worried I won't have enough pee so I pee in the cup from the get-go! Why I think this, I do not know as I can normally overfill the cup!!?? So we both agreed this may have been the cause and no need for panic, but I would be sent home with urine strips to test at home, as I do with the BP. Further, given the fact that my BP is still fine it probably wasn't a sign (the rise in BP normally goes hand in hand with the protein).

Long story short I tested it again at home later that day and got "negative". Good.

Overall, I've been fairly positive the past 19 weeks. I had one bad dream, and from time to time I get anxious, but generally I've felt good and remained optimistic. I have a certain peace of mind knowing there is nothing more I could be doing to bake this bun just right. But that day, off and on, I must admit that the panic gripped me a couple times. The old feeling of going down that road, where there is no stopping pre-eclampsia, just trying to slow its path and get as far as you can before your body starts to poison itself and the baby. I try to have the mental fortitude to handle it and stay tough all the time, but I'm no superhuman.

Last night Liam was resting on me while we watched TV at my Mom's cabin after a long day of him skiing and playing in the snow. The baby started kicking, probably upset that he was being squished by his big brother. I remind myself that this is what I am doing it for, my two little boys, and that I can do this. I can do this.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there girl, we are all rooting for this little prince to hang in there for the full 40 weeks... So, its hard to say "put your worries aside", but enjoy the pregnancy, and all the kicks and hick-ups, they are special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog through the Yahoo Hellp syndrome group. Thank you for having the courage to share your journey with others. I wish a you a healthy and happy pregnancy! Congratulations to you and your family! Look forward to more updates.
    Best,
    Christina
    Pre-E and Hellp survivor

    ReplyDelete