Monday, May 3, 2010

Hello May, It's Nice to See You


Back in October I remember looking at the calendar and thinking about what each month meant in terms of the baby's birth. Feb meant no chance for the baby. March meant a 50-50 chance but a micropreemie no doubt. April meant some relief - an early preemie - but one that would have a fighting chance. And I remember thinking if we could just get to May (June of course would be even better). Especially May 6th which would be just two months left to D-Day. And May 11th marks 32 weeks exactly.

So here we are May. I'm glad to see you. The picture on the left is the urine dip sticks that I use to test my pee every day for signs of protein, a marker for pre-eclampsia. I reckon now since starting at Week 20, I have done this 70 times. The color that appears every morning is a relief but there's always trepidation that one morning is going to be the morning when I wake and it's a darker color, like the colors it was in 2005 when I was diagnosed and doing this at home. (So far it's negative as long as I am hydrated and I dip trace when I have not had enough fluids).

Similar to what I had at 20 weeks (see old post), I had a little bit of irrational anxiety since hitting Week 30. It must be something about hitting the number (10, 20 or 30). If I had known before conception how much better things would go this time, I would have jumped in even sooner. But I still get gripped occasionally with the fear of my body turning against me and the baby. Like I said before, 95% of the time I am fine and upbeat, it's only moments here and there. And I allow myself this. As my high-risk doctor has said it is completely normal to experience some anxiety in a high-risk pregnancy. Honestly to ignore the risks and not ever think about the what-if's would be a bit like sticking your head in the ground to me.

But I'll take a deep breath and head out soon for a short walk (my walks are indeed getting shorter!) and I will rejoice in the fact that this baby is now 50% bigger than Liam was at birth and in another week will probably be around 4 lbs, twice what he weighed.
Thanks again to everyone following our journey and prayers to all those facing similar journeys!

5 comments:

  1. Such awesome news! Where did you get your sticks? Dr give them to you or are they OTC? I would LOOVE to have those, might five some peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!! Yes I would love to know where you get your sticks as well? My email is L412angel at aol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on reaching May! Your blog is giving me great hope for the future. I am giving my self a year to get into great shape before getting pregnant.( I now have a beautiful 15 month old after a PE pregnancy.) It is so exciting to see you having a healthy pregnancy so far! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley and Laura: Yes I got them from my doctor. I am with Kaiser. i dont know if you can buy OTC. I doubt it - plus they are expensive. They dont make it a general thing to give patients the strips to test at home but since I had it so early last time..plus I had a trace at 20 weeks, so they wanted to be extra vigilant.
    I dont know - on one hand it is reassuring. On the other hand it can make you stress out more checking it every day. I dont know what is better honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad!!! I remember hitting the 30's and how awesome that felt... you look fantastic and I hope you feel fantastic as well

    ReplyDelete