Monday, May 17, 2010

T Minus 49 Days

What's Going On:
I had a blood draw this morning which was actually the first since 27 weeks so seems like it was definitely due! My CBC already came back. Overall looks good, still borderline anemic but doesn't look severely so. Hematocrit is down to 34% which is the lowest range of normal, but as I mentioned it before represents hemodilution in pregnancy (in other words blood volume is expanding, which is a good thing. In pre-e it doesnt not expand to what it should and is overly concentrated). Here is a good article on hematocrit and hemodilution. So now I am waiting on the big tests for liver function and kidney function. I love Kaiser and I love getting the results by email but of course it is always a little anxiety-ridden when the results come in. Blood pressure today was still hovering at 107 over 65 with protein negative. So in terms of pre-e we still look good but the blood tests will give an indication of any signs of HELLP syndrome approaching. My platelets were down to 172K from 181K a month ago - so a bit on the low side but still in normal range. (I never run high - 220K at the max anyway). Little to no swelling.

Thursday is an ultrasound to check on growth and a regular Ob appointment.

Today I pre-registered at the hospital and got to see L&D (it's a new hospital). Two women in labor checking in as I was at the counter. I can't wait til this is me.

How I'm Feeling:
Not great but expect much of this is normal for 33 weeks. I've been getting some major Braxton Hicks contractions in the afternoons and evenings that don't stop til I lie flat. I have called the docs and am monitoring. Doesn't seem like a danger just have to take it easy. Also these come on regardless of whether I have walked that day or not. (It's more a case of them coming on when I am housecleaning - bending over, playing ball with my son, etc). Hmm what else: back aches, acid reflux, generally feeling like a whale. I've also had incidences where my heart races and I get very weak and my BP drops quite a bit (like too much). In this case, again not pre-e, but more likely part of all the blood circulating and being a bit anemic. Walking and stretching (ie light exercise) actually seem to be the best things to get the blood circulating and me feeling normal - I just have to time it right.

I'll update once the labs come back. Going to go for a slow 20 minute (1 mile) walk on the treadmill to stretch out my legs and see how I feel. And then a bath!

Thanks for reading. Two more weeks and we may just escape the NICU entirely this time. What a dream that would be.

UPDATE 5/18: Yes, all bloodwork looks fine: CBC, ALT, AST, creatinine, uric acid. Fingers crossed for good ultrasound Thursday

5 comments:

  1. That is such great news....sorry for the whale-ish feeling, but that all comes with the territory of being preggers. Keep smiling, and drink some OJ, and see your little one do sommersaults. I loved doing that to mr B. Not sure if it was the sugar rush or the coldness of the drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO happy for you!!! I can't wait (well of course I can wait until it is time) to hear about your TOTALLY NORMALLY delivery and brining your baby home with you instead of NICU.

    I so hope this can be my story next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wandered over her from the preeclampsia foundation forums. I've read your blog from the beginning and am soo glad things are going so well this pregnancy.

    Best wishes.


    - Rosalinda
    San Jose, California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rosalinda! I just sent you an email through the Preeclampsia Foundation forum. - Tiffany

    ReplyDelete