Monday, March 29, 2010

Closing in on 26 Weeks

Last week was busy. After Monday's ultrasound with the peri, we had our blood tests and a regular appointment with the Ob Gyn. No gestational diabetes - hooray! The Easter chocolate beckons! CBC was done and platelets are around 211K (For those knowledgeable about HELLP my platelets fell to about 27K at their worst). Interestingly, I was a bit concerned as it looked like I was trending towards being anemic, if I compared the figures to my baseline blood test at 8 weeks. I know it's common for pregnant women, and with all the calcium I am on that can interfere with iron absorption, I would not have been surprised. So I emailed my doctor and she said my levels were still fine within the range, and the range for pregnant women is lower than non-pregnant women. So no anemia. Then she went on to say, " In your particular case, I would be worried if the hemoglobin had stayed the same, since a high hemoglobin can be a sign of preeclampsia (the blood becomes more concentrated). So I'm very encouraged that your blood has become more dilute, just as expected."

I find it all fascinating, the signs and things we can read as predictors. Medicine can tell us so much, but has such a long way yet to go to treat and prevent this disease.

On another note, since all of us in second pregnancies after pre-e share info about what we are doing differently, I am drinking a ton more water than I did before. I don't remember what I did back in 2005 but I dont think I carried around a one-liter Nalgene bottle like I do now (and go through two full bottles minimum a day). Course I was sitting in an office last time and may not have required as much as I do now, where part of the day I work, part of the day I am with my active son out and about. But fluids are so important with expanding blood volume it must be beneficial.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I am really starting to get excited over here! You know, I may be sending you a personal email soon asking even more specifics about your care. There is nothing I'd like more than a third little one, and you may just be giving me the confidence to, at the very least, schedule an appt with my high-risk ob. That, and I know I can't convince my sister to carry ANOTHER one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! I am so glad my story is encouraging. This is why I share so much of the medical info. It is critical that we understand what's happening and what we can do to control and improve our outcomes! That being said we are still being really realistic. The problem in a way though is because things are going so well, my family is convinced it's smooth sailing and we'll be "bringing home a bruiser". But our recurrence stat still is ominous at 40-60% and until we are home with the baby I will never say we are out of the woods. Anyway email me. Critical first that you get every test they have for underlying conditions. And I do think the combo of aspirin, good health and nutrition and low stress is helping. Just how much we have to wait and see! - Tiffany

    ReplyDelete